89-year-old California pastor Harold Camping, the founder of Family Radio Worldwide, claims that the rapture is coming Saturday, May 21, 2011 and that the world will officially end Oct. 21, 2011.
Camping’s basing this on a complex ("made up") mathematical formula that even Will Hunting couldn’t solve. (Yes, I realize Hunting is a fictional character, but at this point, I’m not convinced Camping is real either.)
For some reason, perhaps a slow news cycle, respected media outlets are giving Camping’s prediction ample ink. I thought it was only appropriate for San Marino Patch to weigh in too and give San Marino residents a few helpful hints to make it through the weekend.
We’ll find out Saturday if Camping’s math adds up. And just in case he’s right, here are five Judgment Day necessities for the big day.
1. Toilet paper: Obviously. Stock up at a local grocery store.
2. Water: Another no-brainer. Hydration is a staple of any good Rapture gameplan.
3. Comfort food: If there was ever an occasion for comfort food, Doomsday is it. While canned tuna keeps well and packs a protein punch, why not mix it up and live it up? Stock up on baked goods and fine prepared eats like cupcakes, caramels, bars, meatloaf, quiche and much more at and . And why not pair your choices with some wine from ? You can have a Last Supper of sorts with your loved ones.
4. A companion: Having a furry friend around makes every day more delightful and the Rapture is no exception. Check out our Rescue Pets of the Week who are in need of good homes.
5. Guidance: All this talk about the end of the world may have you thinking about what certain faiths—not a rogue pastor—actually say about the Rapture. Check out these local San Marino places of worship if you’re curious.