Candidates are coming out of the woodwork to run for the 49th State Assembly District seat currently occupied by , who will be termed out in 2012.
The 49th District includes San Marino and other San Gabriel Valley Cities and a .
The latest candidate is David Siegrist, a retired teacher and advocate for seniors and veterans, among other things.
Siegrist has taught various subjects for elementary and high school, served on education and senior-related organizations and expects to spend more time on his campaign now that he is retired.
Siegrist mentioned some of the following experience in a statement:
- Has served on the California Senior Legislature for six years.
- Current First Vice Commander of El Monte American Legion Post 261
- Served on the Rio Hondo Community College Board of Trustees for eight years
- Ran for the 49th district’s Democratic party nomination in 2006 and garnered 11 percent of the vote.
- B.A. in History, an M.A. in Education
- Served in the Vietnam War for 18 months in the Republic of the Phillippines as a senior cryptographer, teletype operator, and a Thai/Laotian Translator
- Proficient in English, Spanish, German, Thai, and Laotian
“In the 2006 Assembly race, Mike Eng raised more than $900,000 for his campaign, while Siegrist chose to invest his own funds, spending less than $1,000, and therefore, was totally unbeholden to the state's myriad special interests,” said Siegrist in the statement.
Siegrist’s major issues are:
- Providing more jobs for Californians
- Improving public education at all levels
- Balancing the state budget
- Cleaning up and ending the great waste in Sacramento
- Improving services to military veterans
- Improving services to senior citizens
- Creating a business-friendly environment in our state
- Ensuring decent health services for everyone
- Providing quality services for the homeless
Other candidates for the 49th District are , , Alhambra Mayor Luis Ayala and , who is supported by Assemblyman Eng and Eng’s wife, .
Monterey Park , has been rumored to be a possible 49th assembly district candidate, according to various news publications such as Alhambra Source.
Are you leaning toward voting for a certain State Assembly candidate so far?