Voters now have six options to choose from when deciding who will be the State Assembly representative for the 49th District, which includes San Marino.
Former San Marino Mayor Matthew Lin officially launched his campaign on Saturday at an event attended by LA County Sheriff Lee Baca, Supervisor Michael Antonovich, San Marino Vice Mayor and .
Incumbent (D-Monterey Park) is termed out at the end of 2012, but he and his wife, (D-Monterey Park), are supporting candidate .
An orthopedic surgeon for over 30 years, Lin was raised in Taiwan and moved to the U.S. in 1973, his campaign said in a statement. He served on the for eight years and was elected San Marino’s first Asian American mayor in 2001.
Lin also helped raise funds for completion of the in San Marino and said he avidly supports and has been active in other San Marino organizations.
Lin’s campaign mentioned the following experience:
- Chief of Staff at Garfield Medical Center (1987 and 1990), Chief of Surgery at GMC (1988)
- Chairman of Credentialing Committee at Alhambra Hospital (1994)
- Served as President of the Los Angeles County Medical Association
- Served as President of the Taiwan Medical Society.
- Served as Board Director of the following organizations: the San Marino Schools Foundation; San Marino Community Church Foundation; San Francisco Theological Seminary; United Way, the Pasadena Symphony; the Pacific Asia Museum; and Taiwan Center.
- Member of Doctors Without Borders
- Led or participated in international medical relief efforts to Taiwan, El Salvador, Sri Lanka (post-tsunami), China, Haiti and other destinations
Lin’s major campaign issues are:
- Creating jobs
- Growing the economy, not the budget
- Efficient education spending
- A healthcare solution that makes sense
The other candidates running for the 49th Assembly District are , Alhambra Mayor Luis Ayala and retired educator David Siegrist, who announced his candidacy Nov. 30.
Check back for more about Siegrist.
Monterey Park , has been rumored to be a possible 49th assembly district candidate, according to various news publications such as Alhambra Source.
Which 49th Assembly District candidate do you most want to represent you?