Two San Marino High School students have been nominated by Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) for appointments to U.S. service academies for the class of 2017.
Bradley William Haslam of San Gabriel was nominated to the Air Force Academy, and Johnnie Isaac Jimenez of Pasadena was nominated to the Merchant Marine Academy. Both students currently attend San Marino High.
The young men are among 10 students from the 29th Congressional District chosen by the congressman.
“Each of the students nominated to a service academy has compiled an outstanding record of accomplishments, demonstrated excellence in academics, and participated in sports and extracurricular activities” said Rep. Schiff. “They are also deeply committed to serving our country in the armed forces. I’m extremely proud to nominate these young men and women, and I’m confident that they will be among the future leaders of our country.”
The other local students nominated by Rep. Schiff include:
- James Richard Martinez-Baenen – A Burbank resident attending Burbank High School was nominated to the Air Force Academy, Military Academy and Naval Academy.
- Marian Nathan Grau – A Glendale resident attending NYU (graduated from Notre Dame High School) was nominated to the Military Academy and Naval Academy.
- Grigori Grigoryan – A Glendale resident attending Clark Magnet High School was nominated to the Naval Academy.
- Joshua Jonathan Jimenez – A Pasadena resident attending PCC (graduated from Marshall Fundamental Secondary School) was nominated to the Merchant Marine Academy.
- John Wendell Kazanjian – A Glendale resident attending Purdue (graduated from St. Francis High School) was nominated to the Naval Academy.
- Angelique Joeann Margve – A Burbank resident attending John Burroughs High School was nominated to the Military Academy and Naval Academy.
- Alejandra Quintero – A Temple City resident attending the US Military Academy Prep School (graduated from Arcadia High School) was nominated to the Military Academy.
- Justin Gabriel Ulley – A Temple City resident attending Temple City High School was nominated to the Military Academy.
The four United States service academies that require a Congressional nomination are the Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Military Academy at West Point, and the Naval Academy. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a Congressional nomination.
All five academies offer young men and women a free college education at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic institution, while preparing them for an officer's commission in the armed forces.
Students interested in applying to a service academy for the class of 2018 should call Congressman Schiff’s District Office at 626-304-2727.