Each week San Marino Patch names a Whiz Kid of the Week. This can be a kid, teen, sports team, Girl Scout troop, etc. from San Marino who is amazing in some way.
We are asking for your nominations for Whiz Kid of the Week, so suggest a special San Marino kid, teen or youth group in the comment box below! Read more about nominations .
This week's San Marino Whiz Kid is Lauren Michelle Hickey. Lauren first attended and moved on to where she is an 8th grader. Lauren is an amazingly talented performer with skills varying from acting and dancing to singing and opera. What makes Lauren special is her dedication to her craft and her countless hard work honing her natural abilities. Lauren's parents, David and Michelle Hickey, are both attorneys and Lauren's brother, Connor Hickey, is a 10th grader at .
Her parents are often suprised at Lauren's tenacity and her willingness to perform to large crowds. She hopes that one day her singing will become her career.
- Whiz Kid's Name: Lauren Michelle Hickey
- Whiz Kid's Age: 13 years old
- Whiz Kid's School: 8th Grader at Huntington Middle School
- Whiz Kid's Accomplishment: Lauren has had the lead in three musicals, including “The Music Man,” “Guys and Dolls” and “Annie,” and will appear in the Los Angeles Opera Camp’s productions of “Friedl” and “Brundibar” this upcoming weekend. She was also recently hired to sing at a local sportscaster’s wedding. Last fall, Lauren took home second place in the 11-to-13 year old category of the Intimate Opera Company’s 9th Annual Youth Vocal Competition. She also took second place in the singing an Italian aria. Lauren also sings for the Los Angeles Children’s Choir and her school choir.
- Whiz Kid's Key to Awesomeness: Lauren’s key to awesomeness is the combination of great teachers, great opportunities, great parents, and the great amount of effort she applies in constantly practicing. The voice is like any muscle and requires constant conditioning--an ideal to which Lauren is no stranger. Having trained for the past two years under operatic singer and coach Wendy Pylko--who has items on her impressive resume like working for the Los Angeles Opera, Southland Opera, and Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts--Lauren constantly seeks to improve her craft. Lauren has performed in a myriad of musical productions including but not limited to: “The Music Man”, “Annie”, “The Wizard of Oz”, and “Grease” under the directorship of Richard Seymour.
But music is not just an exercise of technique and an application of talent; it is also highly intellectual. Lauren further dedicates her time towards studying theory and piano under Ara Gevorkian. Lauren has been fortunate enough to be selected to participate in three Los Angeles Opera community outreach productions and to sing for the Los Angeles Children’s Choir and for her school. Above all, Lauren exhibits a high level of respect and humility and continually reminds herself that she could not get where she is without the amazing community she lives in and the wonderful opportunities she has been blessed with that have afforded her the chance to pursue something she truly loves.
Bonus Whiz Kid Info:
Favorite Food: Cheese. Lauren likes plain cheese and any food with cheese, such as pizza, tacos, sandwiches, etc.
Last Book Read for Pleasure: The Pretty Little Liars series
If you had power to change one thing and make the world a better place, what would that be?: Lauren would wish that everyone had clean water and enough food.